Did negligent security contribute to this restaurant shooting death and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
One teen boy was shot at a Sumter, SC fast food restaurant Sunday afternoon, Feb 12, 2023.
As reported by WIStv.com, “[the shooting] happened Sunday in the [fast food restaurant] parking lot on North Lafayette Drive…it started inside the [restaurant] and spilled into the parking lot.”
FoxBaltimore.com is reporting, “[a] fight between 25-year-old employee…and a coworker took place Sunday afternoon. Police in South Carolina said a relative of the other man tried to break up the fight, but [the suspect] pulled a gun and started shooting.”
According to the report, “[t]hat’s when Jacob Russ, another family member, was shot and killed. He was just 14 and in ninth grade.”
The investigation is ongoing.
IS JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Restaurant patrons and guests have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the restaurant is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the restaurant owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its guests and visitors, the family of Jacob Russ may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Jacob Russ retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.
How to Choose and Hire the Right Attorney (Click Here)