Did negligent security contribute to this restaurant parking lot shooting death and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
One man was shot at a DeBary, FL restaurant parking lot Friday evening, June 17, 2022.
As reported by ClickOrlando.com, the shooting happened “outside of [a restaurant] located at 320 Dirksen Drive Friday night.”
News-Journalonline.com is reporting, “DeBary resident James Shirley, 36, died at the scene.”
A suspect has been identified but no arrests have been made.
The investigation is ongoing.
OUR LEGAL TAKE
Restaurant and parking lot guess have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the restaurant is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on or near the property?
- Was the restaurant aware of any improper activity before the incident occurred?
- What security measures, such as guarded-entry, monitored surveillance cameras, bright lighting, and visible security patrols were in place to deter crime and protect the victim and others at the time of the shooting?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the restaurant owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its guests and visitors, the family of James Shirley may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of James Shirley retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.