Could the shooting at a Kansas City parking lot have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family? Our firm represents victims of security failures across the United States, and we have recovered nearly $200 million dollars for our Clients. Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire rang out at a Kansas City, MO parking lot early Saturday morning, Jan 20, 2024, leaving one young man dead.
As reported by KCTV5.com, “[t]he shooting happened in the 10700 block of Marsh Avenue just before 12:30 a.m. on Saturday. A caller reported that they heard gunshots and looked outside to see a victim lying on the ground unresponsive.”
Fox4KC.com is reporting, “[a]rriving officers were sent in the direction of a man who was shot and unresponsive in a parking lot. Emergency responders were called, but the man died from his injuries. Kansas City police identified him as Ka’Marr A. Brown.”
The investigation is ongoing.
IS JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Parking lot patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the family of Ka’Marr A. Brown may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Ka’Marr A. Brown retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: NEARLY $200 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained nearly $200 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.