Did negligent security contribute to this shooting and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire erupted late Monday night, Dec 19, 2022 at an Upper Marlboro, MD gas station leaving one man dead.
As reported by Fox5DC.com, “[p]olice say they responded to a call reporting a shooting at a [gas station] on Campus Way South.”
According to the report, “[w]hen police arrived around 11 p.m. Monday night, they say 54-year-old Lee Alexander Thomas was suffering from a gunshot wound.”
NBCWashington.com is reporting, “Thomas was taken to the hospital where he later died from his injuries.” Per the report, “[t]wo men allegedly shot and stole Thomas’s white BMW while he was at the gas pump.”
The shooting investigation is ongoing.
IS JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Gas Station and convenience store patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the family of Lee Alexander Thomas may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Lee Alexander Thomas retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.
How to Choose and Hire the Right Attorney (Click Here)