Could the shooting at a Melbourne bar have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family and injured victim? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire rang out at a Melbourne, FL bar early Sunday morning, March 6, 2022, leaving one person dead and one other person injured.
As reported by FloridaToday.com, “[t]he shooting happened about 1:10 a.m. at Off the Traxx, located at 918 E. New Haven Ave. Melbourne police arrived within minutes and found two people injured inside.”
Fox35Orlando.com is reporting, “[o]ne 34-year-old male victim was found unconscious and transported immediately to the hospital where he was later pronounced deceased.”
According to the report, “a 29-year-old female employee was also injured, but her injuries were not life-threatening. She was taken to the hospital and is expected to recover.”
The investigation is ongoing.
Our Legal Take
Bar patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Does the property owner or management have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
- What security measures, such as bright lighting, visible surveillance cameras, and security personnel, were in place to deter crime and protect the victim at the time of the shooting?
- Was the property owner or management aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the deceased victim’s family may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss. In addition, any injured victim may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their injuries and suffering.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the deceased victim’s family and any injured victim retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.