Could the shooting at an East St. Louis nightclub have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victims families and injured victim? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire rang out at an East St. Louis, IL nightclub early Tuesday morning, Nov 1, 2022, leaving two people dead and one other injured.
As reported by KSDK.com, “East St. Louis police were called to the area of 10th Street and St. Louis Avenue for a report of a shooting at around 2 a.m. Tuesday. When they arrived…officers found three people shot.”
According to the report, “the incident started as an argument inside [the nightclub] before escalating to a shooting outside the club.”
LocalToday.news is reporting, “the person who died at the scene was identified as 17-year-old Patrick Miley of St. Louis. The identity of the person who died in hospital has not been released. The third person was shot in the arm and injured.”
The shooting remains under investigation.
Is Justice Available? Our Legal Take
Nightclub patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- Was there security personnel at the property?
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
Property owners and managers are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, or engaged in the negligent retention of its security personnel, the family of Patrick Miley may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss. In addition, any injured victims may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection and investigation will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Patrick Miley and any injured victims retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS? OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS.
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.